You should start applying for college scholarships as soon as possible, ideally during your junior or senior year of high school.
If you want a detailed answer, read below
It is advisable to start applying for college scholarships as soon as possible, ideally during your junior or senior year of high school. This allows ample time to research and apply for a variety of scholarships, and to take advantage of early deadlines and opportunities. As Mark Kantrowitz, an expert on financial aid and scholarships, states: “The early bird gets the worm when it comes to scholarships. There are some scholarships with deadlines as early as a year before college starts.”
Here are some interesting facts on the topic:
- According to a report by Sallie Mae, only 29% of families apply for scholarships, which means there are more opportunities for those who do apply.
- The average scholarship amount for undergraduate students is $4,000, which can greatly reduce the cost of tuition.
- Scholarships are available for a variety of reasons, not just academic achievement. There are scholarships for community service, artistic talent, athletic ability, and more.
- Some scholarships are specifically for certain demographics or groups, such as first-generation college students, veterans, or those with disabilities.
- Applying for scholarships can also help students develop important skills, such as writing and public speaking.
Here is a table outlining some steps for applying for scholarships:
|1||Research scholarship opportunities|
|2||Create a list of potential scholarships|
|3||Check eligibility requirements for each scholarship|
|4||Complete the application and required materials|
|5||Submit the application before the deadline|
|6||Follow up with the scholarship organization|
In conclusion, starting to apply for college scholarships as early as possible is crucial in order to take advantage of a variety of opportunities and deadlines. As financial expert Dave Ramsey states: “A scholarship is not just a reward; it’s an investment in your future.”
See the answer to “When should you start applying for college scholarships?” in this video
Jocelyn Penita Pearson, the founder of the Scholarship System and Debt Free Degree Lab, stresses the importance of timing when it comes to applying for scholarships. Waiting until senior year may prove to be too late, as applying when there is less competition can increase one’s chances of winning. Pearson encourages students to start as early as junior year and even offers free training on finding less competitive scholarships. She emphasizes that there are scholarship applications year-round; the scholarship year starts in September and ends in August the following year. Pearson invites viewers to check out their weekly training on paying for college and scholarships.
There are several ways to resolve your query
Some deadlines are as early as a year before college starts, so if you’re in high school now, you should be researching and applying for scholarships during the summer between your junior and senior years.
So, When Should You Apply for Scholarships?
- Whenever You Can! Scholarships, both federal and privately funded, are probably the best way to pay for college.
- Before the Deadline This may seem like a given, but it’s absolutely essential that you pay attention to each scholarship’s deadline.
- As Soon As You Can
- After January 1st for Need Based Scholarships
- During Your Senior Year of High School